Looking Skinny Doesn’t Mean You’re Healthy if you’re skinny fat.
The term “skinny fat” has been around for a while now, but it seems to have started to grow as a greater problem with the era of the young entrepreneurs and busy professionals of today
People can carry their extra weight in different places on the body:
On the hips and thighs
Around the waist.
Fat stored deep in the belly is the most harmful kind.
So yes skinny fat bodies are unhealthy, in fact they’re some of the most at risk bodies.
Why Are Skinny Fat Bodies Unhealthy?
Our bodies have fat just under the skin.
But there is another layer of fat that is deeper (called “visceral” fat).
This is deep within a cavity in the belly.
It surrounds some of the vital organs of the body.
They are: the stomach, the liver, and the intestines.
In fact, this fat is very close to the liver.
It is so close that the liver can turn it into cholesterol.
From there, this fat goes through the bloodstream.
It may collect along the walls of the arteries.
This leads the arteries to get hard and narrow
Understand Your Risk for a Skinny Fat Body
Years ago, we did not know that where we carry extra weight matters.
Now we know it does.
Scientists have found that one place – within the belly – is most
It is worse for your health than fat anywhere else in the body.
In fact, a large waist size makes you more likely to get heart disease.
It is just as harmful for your heart as high blood pressure and smoking.
Fat around the belly makes you more likely to have a heart attack.
It also makes you more likely to have a stroke.
These are the leading causes of death in diabetes.
This type of fat makes it hard for your body to use its own insulin (“insulin
resistance”). And, it may even lead to certain cancers.
When are skinny Fat Bodies Unhealthy?
You may be more likely to get health problems from this kind of belly fat if:
• You waist is more than 40 inches if you are a woman
• Your waist is more than 35 inches if you are a man.
And it is not just people with diabetes who are at risk.
Deep belly fat is a problem in healthy adults.
It makes it harder for the body to use insulin well (causes
This often leads to type 2 diabetes.
Take a man with a big waist size (over 40 inches).
Compare him to a man with a small waist size (29 – 34 inches). The man with the
big waist is 12 times more likely to have diabetes.
Learn why your’re Skinny fat
Our genes certainly play a part in our body shape.
But we can still do a lot to stop a bulging waist and the health risks that come with it.
Diet and exercise are two things we can control. And, these determine how much fat builds up in our bodies.
With today’s busy professionals and entrepreneurs , many find ourselves sitting behind a computer screen for hours everyday.
This may be great for our bank accounts but devastating to your health.
Lest face it, what good is financial freedom if you cant enjoy it to the fullest.
The solution is being smart about diet and exercise.
You need to be efficient with your time, the same way you’re efficient with your professional life.
Skinny Fat body diet
Skinny Fat bodies typically are individuals who find them selves on the go often and resort to snacking when they can or eating fast food with little nutrition.
This is not a great approach to dieting if your bodies health is starting to become a concern for you.
Guess what? You can still live your fast pace life and eat in a way that will destroy your skinny fat body for good!
The trick is eating fewer times in the day but bigger calorie dense meals the few times you do eat.
The less time you have to worry about food , the more freedom for work you have.
Example: skinny fat busy professional meal frequency:
- Breakfast: Coffee and water only ( If you choose to eat make it small ex. boiled egg or fruit)
- no snacking between meals
- lunch: 50% of total calories
- no snacking between meals
- Dinner: other 50% of total calories with something sweet
notes: you can also play around with these two big meals. If you like smaller lunches and bigger dinners shoot for 30% of calories for lunch and 70% of calories for dinner. If smaller dinners is your thing then just reverse the method to 70% for lunch and 30% of calories for dinner.
Eating larger meals fewer time throughout the day allows for more freedom in two ways.
- you get to have more flexibility in your diet. Larger meals means more calories to play with (grant it you stay within your daily calorie target). If you’re at the airport between meetings and you want to have the steak with truffles fries , you can.
- when you’re worried less about diet you get to focus more on work, client demands and your own personal time.
To See exactly how I eat and most my clients as well, click here.
When you’re skinny fat you have two approachs when it comes to your daily calorie targets.
1. Eat in a slight calorie deficit everyday until you have burned away most of the fat around your belly. This would be for skinny fats that carry a significant amount of fat just in their belly and chest.
2. Eat at maintenance during your training days and at a calorie deficit on your off days. This is called a body recomposition strategy and is best for skinny fats with just a little bit of fat around their mid section and chest.
Exercising for a skinny fat body
Again time is the key factor holding most busy professionals from making it to the gym.
Most likely you have been told you need to make it to the gym 5-6 times a week.
You might even feel guilty and self shame when you cant make it to the gym everyday.
In all reality there is no reason you need to be going to the gym more than 2-3 times a week for results.
The key here is short workouts that are supper efficient just a few times a week.
You need to focus on just 1-2 compound movements. per workout for tracking strength.
Sprinkle in just 3-4 isolation exercises for detail work.
example Skinny fat busy professional workout
Skinny Fat workout A:
- dumbbell dead lift ( compound exercise)
- Incline bench press ( compound exercise)
- Triceps rope extensions
Skinny Fat Workout B:
- Pull ups ( compound exercise)
- Standing Press ( compound exercise)
- Bicep Rope curls
- Dumbbell side lateral raises
Skinny Fat Workout C:
- Box Squat ( compound exercise)
- Dips ( compound exercise)
- Seated Rows
- face pulls
Notes: you can alternate the compound exercises with other compound exercises every 4 weeks. The same rotation can be applied to the isolation exercises as well. Track the compound exercises amd aim to go up 5lbs or one more rep per set from week to week. This is the key factor for muscle growth.
Here is a detailed article on short workouts for busy professionals, hotel room workout included. Click here
- Eat fewer more calorie dense meals.
- More flexibility and freedom with time.
- Be sure to stay in your daily calorie. targets.
- Stop snacking.
- Utilize compound lifts for biggest bang for your buck = efficient.
- Keep workouts short but intense.
- Track compound lifts and aim to go up 5lb or one more rep, week to week.
- Sprinkle in isolation exercises for detail work but do not make them the focus of your workouts.
Intelligently designed programs
If your want a full program, intelligently designed for setting goals each week and meeting them: Check out True Will Aesthetics Premium Programs, Omega Shreds is best for Skinny fats.
Latest posts by Michael Worley (see all)
- Bulk or cut first ? - March 16, 2021
- Top 5 Exercises for Skinny girls trying to Build BUTT - March 16, 2021
- TRAINING METHODOLOGY & PERIODIZATION - July 31, 2020